Monday, January 30, 2012

Training

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the lack of update late week. I couldn't make it to my BTN shift because I had sprained my wrist. I rested and took ibuprofen and now I'm all better!

I had 2 training assignments today and the birds of prey flight cages. So I didn't have to do much except talk and let the new gals know what their duties were. Heheheh!

 First of all, look at these adorable baby raccoons. We call them popcorns. I don't know why.... We just do. Sorry for the bad quality of the photo, the Baby Room is very dim plus they were moving around a lot because they were hungry.
Adorable popcorns!

I didn't take any pictures while I was in Mocha (Eastern Fallow Deer) and Jennifer's (Nubian Goat) cages training Jessica, a new intern. So there are no pictures of them, sorry. Jennifer is looking fluffy with her winter coat, which is all white. It's weird because she's normally mostly chestnut-colored. And it was great getting to rub on Mocha again. I miss singing Disney songs to him. My big geriatric man!

It's been a while since I was in the Flight Cages, and it was good seeing the old birds again. Especially  beautiful Cookie (Turkey Vulture). I never get over looking at all of the colors in his feathers and his bright red head. The purples and greens. Absolutely beautiful. He didn't seem too happy about it being a fasting day. All the birds of prey don't get food on Saturdays.

"Where's my rotting chicken?"

Colombo (Great Horned Owl) had moved from his regular perch! Well, it was still the same branch, but he was on the opposite side of it. I guess he wanted to soak up some sun on such a pretty day! He did his normal hissing and clicking. All talk.

"Who dares disturb my slumber?"

Tarot (Red-Tailed Hawk) is now in Winnie's (Bald Eagle) old flight cage and he loves having all of that space. And his feet are getting much better! Everyone is so glad! Poor guy had bumblefoot for 3 years now, which is a bacterial infection on the feet of birds from improper perches. When he came to us he already had the infection and we've been treating him. Recently we've bumped up his treatments to every other day and it's done him good! And that means capturing him every other day, so I wasn't surprised that he stared me down while I was cleaning his enclosure. He wouldn't move from his perch and I had to scoop up some leftovers that was on the ground underneath him. I was so close I could feel the breeze from his wing-beats. What a rush!

Tarot loves his big enclosure!

Before I could train Fahima on Harriet (Virginia Opossum) I was shanghaied by Debbie into feeding 5 baby squirrels. They had their eyes open, which is a little older than what I prefer. I think they're the cutest when they have fur but their eyes are still closed. And they have less energy then too, lol! It took 45 minutes to feed all of them. Longer than you would think, I know. But that's normal. Still, when they behave they're ADORABLE!!!

What a tasty lunch!

A lot of resident animals were getting moved today, since we're trying to put the birds with each other. I don't remember exactly where everyone is going. I think Kenny and Mogua (Barred Owls) are moving in with Columbo, and the Screechies (Tobias, Squinty and Pirate) are getting K and M's old enclosure. Nigel (Sherman's Fox Squirrel) is moving into the old Screechies' enclosure since he's so cooped up in his current cage. Little Man and Daisy (Eastern Grey Squirrels) are moving into a big enclosure in what used to be Jennifer's yard. Lots of moving.

The Screechies were in the Baby Room for the day.

Tobias makes a dramatic profile!

Finally I trained Fahima on how to do Harriet's enclosure. Fortunately there isn't much to do in there, so while Fahima was working I spent a minute with Harriet who let me pet her for the first time! How exciting! I knew our friendship would grow. :)

Shuffling back into her kennel with a tasty chicken neck.

It was a fun day. I like training the new people. It makes me think back to when I was new about half a year ago. I can't believe it's been that long! Time flies when you're having fun with animals. I love all of our critters and the wonderful people I volunteer with. :)

Until next week!

The Wild Dimes had Fainted!


Vash likes to sleep in odd positions with his Auntie Dimes

No comments:

Post a Comment